WELCOME to Dave Daniels Racing Blog

If you enjoy short track Saturday night racing, then you've come to the right place.

Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Opening Day - Mother Nature had plans of her own!



How disappointed were you that opening day at Old Dominion Speedway was 
rain-out?

For me not in the least, but I did feel bad for my crew who had to come from Maryland and for all of the fans who attempted to brave the weather. Shortly after the mist began to fall I personally did not feel the track conditions were favorable for the race that night and had almost put myself in “go home” mode in anticipation of the cancellation. I wasn't disappointed because that’s just life. I prepare myself every day for obstacles that come up to meet me. Once you beat down enough of those in your life you learn it’s dumb to shake your fist at something beyond your control like Mother Nature. Some guys labeled the night a complete failure, after working diligently all day and not being able to race. I call it a sour success. No I didn't get to race. But… I showed up, I practiced with the group, I qualified, and I took my car home in one piece. There are more ways to win than simply falling below the checkered flag first.

Leo and Sam Farber are now a part of Dave Daniels Racing.   How different will your season be with their experience?






The biggest change for me is actually having other people on the team besides me, my mom, and my dad. Along the way we have enlisted the help of various friends, family members, and other racers but never have we had what I would call “official crew members”. When we asked Leo and Sam to be a part of the organization I had no clue it would have grown into the relationship that it did and I’m very excited about working with the two of them this year. Leo was slated to be my spotter after we saw how well he worked with Johnny Benson in last year’s Youth for Tomorrow race. He very quickly took on two roles when he showed up Saturday: spotter and driver coach. His son Sam is an excellent mechanic who’s been around racing his whole life (thanks to his father) and does a great job of helping us get things done. Nothing really changes as far as my father’s racing game plan is concerned just having them makes it a lot easier on us to execute it.

Besides being the driver of the #34 Daniels Auto Care, Ashcraft Associates racecar, what other duties do you perform on the car?


My dad and I do absolutely everything. After a date with the race track, the #34 comes back to Daniels Auto Care where laundry lists of things are done in a timely yet hectic fashion. Trying to find time in the day to dedicate to the car is like trying to find a needle in a stack of needles. We do get it done though, although it involves many early mornings and numerous late nights we’re both willing to do what it takes to make it out there on Saturday night. Everybody thinks we’re insane but we know we’re not. We both just found the one thing in life that we enjoy and we’re good at, and we’ve practically dedicated our lives in the pursuit of perfection.