WELCOME to Dave Daniels Racing Blog

If you enjoy short track Saturday night racing, then you've come to the right place.

Friday, April 29, 2011

#34 wins Pole position in first Late Model Race at ODS



How did it feel to grab the pole position in your very first Late Model race?
I think Billy Ingle summed it up best when he said, “You jumped out of a four cylinder class and qualified on the pole for your first late model race, what else is there to say?” Yeah I was excited, but along with grabbing the pole came the responsibility of starting the race. A few minutes of happiness were washed away with the stress of the main event.



What was the most important thing you learned in your first Late Model race?
I learned that I should not have thought that we were alone. When the sparks flew after the altercation on the first lap, friends, racers, and car owners diverged onto my car, working frantically to get me back into the race. That was the greatest and most humbling feeling I’ve ever had at the track. I felt helpless, just sitting there watching them work, but I was overjoyed that they were there, for me. I can’t pinpoint everyone who was there but to name a few… Mike and Anne Carte, Keith Riley, Dave Moon, Steve Smith, Tyler, Vange, Stevie, and Steve Cypher, and one who I’ll just call Eddie because I regretfully cant recall his last name.


How did it feel to be able to go back out and compete after the wreck?
I felt pretty calm, I mean at that point any shot at a good finish was ruined so to me the goal at that point was to get as many laps back as I could, and most importantly finish.

At the end of the night, when all was said and done, what were your thoughts?

 I wasn’t at all happy about the wreck on the first lap. I didn't have time to be mad about it inside the car, a) because I really didn't know what happened, b) I was just so focused on getting the car back out there I wasn't trying to relive the incident at the moment. I've had an opportunity to view a video taken by a friend and have a clearer view of what happened.  Let’s just say after viewing it and studying the damage to the car I've regained my confidence a bit and understand now that I had a little help in the incident and it wasn't from behind me. That's all I'll say. I'm not mad at anyone I'm just mad at the situation. I've already learned and moved on from the wreck and we'll try it again in two weeks.