WELCOME to Dave Daniels Racing Blog

If you enjoy short track Saturday night racing, then you've come to the right place.

Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Old Dominion Speedway 6-25-11

Military Appreciation 150 Race- view article and photos at
http://www.davedanielsracing.com 
The Military Appreciation race was a 150 lap race.  This would be the first time you would compete in such an event.  How did you feel before and after the race?
Truth being told I thought I was going to puke my guts out before the race. I really didn’t know what to expect with an event that long and I didn’t know if I was physically ready for it. That all goes out the window when you strap on the helmet, you just focus. It doesn’t matter if it’s 150 laps or 15; you got a job to do, like the Nike slogan says, “just do it”.
How exciting was it to start from 10th and finish 4th?
That was highly exciting because that was the first race this year that we’ve had a car capable of moving through the field like that. I was more proud of the work we had done on the car and it being successful than anything. I won’t take all the credit though; Dave Moon and Jordan Irving of Moon Racing helped me out tremendously with the setup. "I feel like the race was a showcase" a showcase for us as a team and what we’re capable of. It may have taken us awhile to come this far, but primarily it’s just a two man operation and we do the best we can. We’re not done improving yet either, the work and effort to be the best doesn’t end with one good run. The season’s still young in our eyes.
What has contributed to your focus and finishes this season thus far?
I don’t know about the focus part. I guess all the work on the car during the week, and the work involved on Saturday night just keeps me going, keeps me into it. If it wasn’t for an occasional great run like Saturday I really don’t know where my mind would be. This is a sport of disappointment and heartbreak with occasional dazzling beams of success. It’s the good nights that keep the fire lit, and keep you digging for more in the face of defeat.

How important is a Rookie season to a driver, and how would you like to be remembered this season?
I guess it all depends on the rookie and what he decides he wants to accomplish. I don’t want to be remembered as a failure that’s for sure. Not a “one hit wonder” or a kid who couldn’t hack it. I want people to know that I did all I could to be the best racer possible week in and week out. That I never gave up. I showed up to compete, if everyone knows that I couldn’t ask for more.