WELCOME to Dave Daniels Racing Blog

If you enjoy short track Saturday night racing, then you've come to the right place.

Saturday, February 26, 2011

Dave answers two important questions.

Dave answers two important questions.

Will it be difficult going from a two time track champion in the Mini Modified Division, back to a rookie in the Late Model Division?

I relate the late model division to AAA baseball. For me, it’s the highest division I can race at self funded, so naturally it becomes a big deal for me and my crew. It will be tough, the cars are more technologically advanced, the competition is way stiffer, the races are longer and more grueling, and everything just gets harder. But, at the end of the day, it’s still a race car, and I am a race car driver. The biggest challenge isn’t dealing with pressure from outside sources (whether it is sponsors, competitors, or fans) but trying to control the pressure and the expectations to perform within myself. I am a two time Mini Modified champion that stat can never be taken away from me but this is a different year, and expectations based off of my past success are no longer valid. I’m going to be like a small worm on a really big hook until me and my father figure this division out a little better. It may take half a season, or it may take two. The time in which it takes to become a competitive and wining driver in the late model division is irrelevant; the fact that I do it the proper and respectful way is what is truly important.

What are your expectations for 2011?

I could probably answer this question a little better after the first race. I don’t want to be accused of dreaming either too big or too small but as of now I have not formed any black and white expectations.  I will say that I simply want to finish races and bring my car home in one piece. Giving the team something to work on for the next week is the most important thing, and we can’t accomplish that with a tore up race car (that and I haven’t shoveled enough snow to cover the repair bills.)